Home    Landlords

Why Choose Us?

We are the best Google rated letting agent in Glasgow. In fact we are the only agent in Glasgow with a 5/5 Google review star rating. We are experienced landlords, ARLA Propertymark regulated and a member of The Property Ombudsman for Lettings so are very confident we can offer you the perfect lettings and property management service. The company is run by husband and wife team Ian and Emily Skinner, who genuinely care about your property. At Cityscape Property our clients truly matter to us and are not just another number.

Our main aim to is keep landlords happy and kept well informed of any developments at all times and we promise to treat all of our landlords’ properties as if they were our own. Our landlords and tenants think we are the best letting agent in Glasgow and we would be delighted to have the opportunity to look after your property.

We manage property throughout Glasgow but have a particular focus on the  West End and Merchant City.

A Personal Service

Your property and your happiness are our priorities here at Cityscape. We’ll take care of your property rental in Glasgow and ensure that you, as the landlord, are kept fully up to date with all developments with your tenant or property. We’ll use our property expertise to help your tenants with any issues they may have and to assist in the day to day running of your property.

At Cityscape Property we are able to offer a personal service, with attention to detail, whilst maintaining a high standard of competence and professionalism for all your Glasgow property letting needs. Whether you are an experienced landlord or new to property letting we will expertly guide you through the letting process. Our current landlord clients are very happy with our service and our current Google reviews prove this.

Carefully Selected Tenants

Your properties are not let to just anybody. We want to guarantee that every property is assigned to the right tenants who will ensure your property is cared for. All prospective tenants are thoroughly referenced and credit checked. In some cases we will also require a guarantor.

Competitive Rates

We typically charge 50% of the first month’s rent to secure a tenant but will match any of our ARLA Propertymark competitors for the tenant find fee. Our monthly management fee thereafter is typically 10%. We feel this is competitive particularly for an ARLA Propertymark regulated letting agent. We may be open to negotiation dependent on the level of service required. We are particularly committed to investment landlords and savings can be made on the smallest of portfolios.

Levels of Service Offered

Full Management

This is our inclusive service, which provides for the following:

  • Marketing of the property (on and our social media sites).
  • Advising the landlord of their legal obligations when letting property.
  • Arranging where required all relevant safety checks/risk assessments, installation of smoke detector system as per legislation.
  • Carrying out accompanied viewings.
  • Vetting of a prospective tenant.
  • Preparation of a detailed photographic property inventory.
  • Preparation of the tenancy agreement.
  • Collecting the tenant’s deposit and submitting it to a tenancy deposit scheme.
  • Transferring the utilities and council tax to the tenant’s name.

This service is suitable for landlords who are not residing locally, or would rather not deal with the tenants directly, preferring all aspects to be handled by an agent.

Letting Only

Our Letting Only Service includes the following:

  • Marketing of the property
  • Carrying out viewings
  • Vetting of a prospective tenant
  • Preparation of the tenancy agreement
  • Preparation of the inventory
  • Collecting tenant’s deposit and submitting it to a tenancy deposit scheme

Managing the tenancy, including the maintenance and rent collection, will then be the responsibility of the landlord.

Guide for Landlords

At Cityscape Property we want to ensure that you – as the landlord – know what to expect when preparing for letting your property. Before a property can be let there are several matters which the owner will need to deal with to ensure that the tenancy runs smoothly and also that he/she complies with the law. We provide summarised information below. If you require further advice or assistance with any matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We have found that a good relationship with tenants is the key to a smooth-running tenancy. As property managers and letting agents this relationship is our job, but it is important that the tenants should feel comfortable in their temporary home and that they are receiving value for their money. A well presented and maintained property in good decorative order will go towards this, whilst also achieving a higher rental figure. Tenants are also more inclined to treat such a property with greater respect.

Electrical, gas plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems must be safe, sound and in good working order and meet ‘The Repairing Standard’ as introduced in the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord’s expense unless misuse can be established. Interior decorations should be in good condition and preferably plain, light and neutral.

Your property can be let fully furnished, part furnished or unfurnished. Which of these is appropriate will depend on the type of property and local market conditions. We will be pleased to give you advice on whether to furnish or not and to what level. As a minimum you will need to provide decent quality carpets, curtains and light fittings. Remember that there will be wear and tear on the property and any items provided.

Personal possessions, ornaments, pictures, books etc should be removed from the premises, especially those of real or sentimental value. All cupboards and shelf space should be left clear for the tenant’s own use.

Gardens should be left neat, tidy and rubbish free, with any lawns cut. Tenants are required to maintain the gardens to a reasonable standard, provided they are left the necessary tools. However, few tenants are experienced gardeners, and if you value your garden, or if it is particularly large, you may wish us to arrange visits by a gardener.

At the commencement of the tenancy the property must be in a thoroughly clean condition, and at the end of each tenancy it is the tenant’s responsibility to leave the property in a similar condition. Where they fail to do so, cleaning will be arranged at their expense. We recommend all properties are professionally cleaned at the start of a tenancy and are happy to arrange this.

It is helpful if you leave information for the tenant, e.g. location of the stopcock, information on operating the central heating and hot water system, washing machine and alarm system and the day refuse is collected etc.

You should provide one set of keys for each tenant. Where we will be managing we will arrange to have duplicates cut as required.

Other Considerations


If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee’s written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.


If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain any necessary written consent before letting.


You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies.

Often landlords do not see the need to take out contents insurance if the property is unfurnished or has a few items of little value. However, contents insurance also gives the landlord a level of public liability cover for claims against them for anyone coming into contact with the property.

Bills & Regular Outgoings

We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. factoring service charges, maintenance contracts etc to be paid by standing order or direct debit. However where we are managing the property, by prior written agreement we may make payment of certain bills on your behalf, provided such bills are received in your name at our office and that sufficient funds are held to your credit.

Council Tax & Utility Accounts

When working with Cityscape Property we will arrange for the transfer of council tax and utility accounts to the tenant. Meter readings will be taken, allowing your closing gas and electricity accounts to be drawn up. All these matters we will handle for you.

Income Tax

When a resident in the UK, it is entirely the landlord’s responsibility to inform the Revenue & Customs of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. Where the landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy, he will require an exemption certificate from the Revenue & Customs before he can receive rental balances without deduction of tax. Where we are managing the property we will provide advice and assistance on applying for such exemption.

The Inventory

It is most important that an inventory of contents and schedule of condition be prepared, in order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy. Without such safeguards, it will be impossible for the landlord to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the rental property or contents. We draft detailed photographic inventories through

What is a Private Residential Tenancy?

Private residential tenancies are open ended and have no set length such as 6 or 12 months. This means as a landlord you cannot ask tenants to leave just because they’ve been in the property for 6 months as you could with a short assured tenancy.

Health & Safety And Other Legal Requirements

Cityscape Property instruct that the following requirements are the responsibility of the owner (landlord). Where we are managing the property they are also our responsibility. Therefore where we are managing we will ensure compliance, any costs of which will be the responsibility of the landlord.

Traditionally, unlike the gas regulations it was not mandatory to have electrical equipment checked. However, under The Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 Part 3 there are now additional duties on landlords to have regular inspections carried out to identify work required. These requirements are deemed to be met if a landlord has electrical fixtures, fittings and appliances tested for safety every 5 years. This involves having an “Electrical Installation Condition Report” carried out at least every 5 years. Before the start of the tenancy the landlord must provide the tenant with a copy of the record of the most recent inspection, in addition they must be provided with a record of any inspection carried out during their tenancy. This brings electrical inspections into line with gas appliances. The PAT (Portable Appliance Test) should continue to be carried out every 12 months as before.

Annual safety check: Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 all gas appliances and flues in rented accommodation must be checked for safety at least every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They must be maintained in a safe condition at all times, records kept for at least 2 years, and a copy of the safety certificate given to each new tenant before their tenancy commences.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 & 1993) provide that specified items supplied in the course of letting property must meet minimum fire resistance standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, beds, headboards and mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions, pillows and non-original covers for furniture. They do not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, curtains, carpets, bed covers including mattress protectors and duvets. Non-compliant items must be removed before a tenancy commences.

The Scottish Government has produced revised statutory guidance on the requirements for smoke alarms (Sept 2014). A copy of the revised statutory guidance is available on the PRHP website by visiting However, the main points relative to smoke detectors are as follows.

The revised Domestic Technical Handbook guidance states there should be at least:

  • One functioning smoke alarm in the room which is frequently used by the occupants for general daytime living purposes
  • One functioning smoke alarm in every circulation space, such as hallways and landings
  • One heat alarm in every kitchen
  • All alarms should be interlinked.

The number and position of the alarms will depend on the size and layout of the house. There should be at least one alarm on each floor.

The Housing Scotland Act 2014 introduces new requirements for private landlords to provide carbon monoxide detectors. Whilst there is as yet no requirement for the CO alarms to be mains powered we suspect this is coming so we would suggest all CO alarms be mains powered.

In Scotland all residential let property with three or more unrelated tenants has to be licensed as an HMO and will be subject to mandatory licensing by your local authority.

Legionella risk assessment is a legal requirement under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. The latest publication released by the HSE HSG274 (April 2014) highlights the requirements for the control of legionella bacteria in hot and cold water systems. The new guidance highlights a significant change in the requirements imposed upon landlords of residential properties who will now be required to ensure all properties have undergone a risk assessment and implement a suitable control scheme. This is because the 300 litre limit for hot and cold water services was removed and all premises with a water system are now within the scope of the revised Approved Code of Practice.

All deposits taken by landlords and agents under Short Assured Tenancies (SATs) in Scotland must be protected by a tenancy deposit protection scheme from 2nd July 2012. We use the Safe Deposits Scotland scheme,

The DDA 2005 addresses the limitations of current legislation by extending disabled people’s rights in respect of premises that are let. Landlords and managers of let premises and premises that are to let will be required to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people.

Since 4th January 2009 all landlords in Scotland offering property for rent are required by law to provide prospective tenants with an Energy Performance Certificate for their property. An EPCs is valid for 10 years. We can arrange an EPC inspection for our landlord clients upon request.

All landlords, with a few exceptions, are now required to register with their local authority, to make sure they are ‘fit and proper’ to be letting property. This will help to remove disreputable landlords from the market and give local authorities a clear picture of private renting in their area. The information on this site will help you to make sure you are acting in a ‘fit and proper’ way.

The above is a brief summary of landlords’ responsibilities and of the laws surrounding tenanted property. We hope that you find it useful. If there are any aspects of which you are unsure, please ask us. We look forward to being of assistance to you in the letting and management of your property. If you wish you can print this page by using your browser Print option.

We look forward to working alongside you in assuring a great tenancy.

As your letting agents in Glasgow, it is important to us that you understand the following:

  • Our Levels of Service Offered
  • Your Landlord Guide
  • Other Considerations
  • Health & Safety and Other Legal Requirements

Cityscape Property Provide Landlords With Peace Of Mind

We are experienced landlords so really understand you